Having had this happen to me three times now on three separate laptops, and also having spent, and lost, countless hours looking (largely unsuccessfully - until now) for a way to remedy the situation I thought this one deserved a blog post. So here goes. Hopefully the next person who strikes this problem can solve it with a five minute Google rather than a five hour session of window movement and software uninstalls and re-installs.
My problem originally occurred with SAP Business Objects Dashboards 4.0. I'd been happily working with the product for about a year with no problems until one morning I plugged in my laptop and opened up an existing dashboard to find that the Properties window was nowhere to be seen. No matter what I did I couldn't make it visible. I tried everything I could think of:
- A Google search;
- An SCN search;
- Right-clicking an object and selecting Properties;
- Highlighting an object and using the Alt-Enter keyboard shortcut;
- Highlighting an object and Selecting View->Properties for the menus;
- Using keyboard shortcuts to give the Properties window focus and then moving it with the keyboard arrows thinking it may have been hidden off screen or somehow thinking that it was on an extended display on another monitor;
- Plugging in a second monitor and then toggling which display was primary and which was extended.
If anyone else has experienced this problem and has figured out what triggers it, I'd love to hear from you!